Saturday, April 12, 2008

A Worthwhile Walk

I almost didn't go. I felt bad, though, because I made the children come in early from playing outside today. Our 6-ish year old neighbor came out with her friend to play and they . . . don't have the same values that we do. I don't like when they play together. So I called the kids in about a half hour early for dinner. As I called them in, I thought to myself 'we'll go for a walk after dinner to even this out' but when dinner ended, I didn't really feel like a walk. One look at their little faces, though, and I was motivated.

As we walked out the door, the kids noticed the moon up in the sky. It was missing half, they said. Why? So they learned about how the sun shines on the moon and sometimes the earth gets in the way and makes a big shadow.

We walked along a little further and met another mother out with her 4 year old twins. We had met in passing before but we all had the opportunity to stop for a few minutes to chat and learn each others names. Hers is Jill. There. I've written it down and now I won't forget it. lol. We will get together sometime and see if we can strike up a friendship.

A little further down the street was a lovely magnolia tree. It was just starting to bloom, so there were lots of little fuzzy 'ears' on the ground to feel and play with. They were curious about them, so we talked about how they protect the flower bud until it's time for the tree to bloom.

Then, on the way back home, we saw a man in his driveway cleaning his motorcycle. It drew the kids in like a magnet. He was simply delighted at all their questions. I kept thanking him for being so kind and patient with their little hands all over his shined up bike. We learned that he has an 8 month old daughter who he hopes will grow up to be just as interested as my three were. We didn't learn his name, but the kids know where he lives now. And they know that he just happens to have three bikes in his garage. 3 babies . . . 3 bikes . . . coincidence? They don't think so! lol

Finally, just as we turned the corner back onto our street, a man in a big white SUV pulled up and got out of his car. He was a realtor putting up signs for an open house tomorrow. Josie, who has suddenly found her confidence, yelled out to him "Hey! You have a beard just like our Daddy!" He gave a warm laugh and chatted with them for a few moments, explaining his sign and the reason for it. When we started to move on, Sarah held out her hand and said "You comin' with us?" She was dissappointed when he said he couldn't but she seemed to understand that his family would miss him deeply if we abducted him. We made it home just in time to watch the last bits of light fade from the sky.

We didn't really make it all that far, as far as walks go, but we did and learned so much. It was perfect.

And to think we almost didn't go.

4 comments:

Jessica Davison said...

Sounds like you had a great walk!

Just so you know, the phases of the moon have nothing to do with Earth's shadow. That would be an eclipse. There was a total lunar eclipse not that long ago, actually. Here is a kid-friendly site you can visit to learn more about lunar phases:

http://www.kidsastronomy.com/astroskymap/lunar.htm

Love ya!

Jess

Jennie C. said...

I didn't think so, either, but I thought I'd better look it up first, just to make sure!

Jennie C. said...

I forgot to tell you this was a sweet post. :-) We're going for a walk this afternoon. Delaney is ready to test out her new roller blades!

Anonymous said...

Like a shirt I couldnt buy because it was pink with a polka dotted smiling flower read:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but happiness doesn't happen without action"