Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Library Day

I've never liked our town library. It's tiny and stuck in a corner of the Municipal Building basement. The artificial light is anything but inviting and it's actually hard to fit my three children in the children's section if anyone else is there.

Still, we decided to give it another try today. And I'm so glad we did.

They've opened up the children's area a little, allowing for two tables, a play carpet and a comfy reading chair. I mentioned to the kids on the way in that we were looking for books about farms, since this is "F" week here. Within moments, the kind librarian came over and helped the children (not me . . .I thought it was wonderful) find a variety of farm books that they could choose from. Then, she mentioned to me that today happened to be registration day for a free "Mom & Tot" class that will be held every week. Music, stories and crafts. "Sure," I said. I think it will be very nice for the kids to get together with some other children and play.

So, after a very tiring and satisfying forty five minutes at our not-so-terrible library (made brighter by the sunny disposition of the children's librarian), we left with 4 wonderful farm books and the anticipation of what I hope will be a wonderful weekly experience for the children. Who knows. I might make a new friend there, too!

2 comments:

Jennie C. said...

We used to go to the story hours at the library, but I got pretty discouraged after a while, because all the other "moms" were babysitters. And when you do find a group of actual moms, they're there for...free babysitting. While their kids harrass the librarian, the moms hide in a corner chatting. I guess I don't like story hours. :-) Hope yours is better than mine have been!

Beckie Russell said...

Oh, that's so sad, Jennie. Angie and I did story time this fall and had a blast. There were other moms (and dads and grandmas) mixed in with the nanny's, but everyone was very cognizant of the fact that they had to corral their children, not the librarian. I guess that's because we all had two and three year olds and most of us were first-timers. But we loved it and are planning on doing it again in the spring.

Incidentally, Sandie, that's how we learned about story time too. Went infor some books and had the friendly librarian tell us we could sign up!