It's easy to stray. Life throws things at you and you make choices that lead you in directions you never dreamed. Old plans fall away to make room for new. But sometimes, the old plans simply leave you alone for a while, waiting for you to find them again.
A few days ago, I responded to an advertisement by a kind and generous woman who was giving away, among other things, a collection of classical music on record. I requested them, though I wasn't exactly sure why I was doing it. I don't really have a place to keep them and I don't own a record player. I replied just the same, not really expecting to hear back. Later that day, she called my house. Sam answered and she mentioned that she also had some books, if we were interested.
He wanted to look over her book collection, so Sam went to pick up the records that same evening. He inquired about the kinds of books she had and she explained that her uncle had passed away and most of his books were related to architecture, since he had been a draftsman all his life. Sam came home with a van full of books and records.
We stayed up past two in the morning pouring over these books, amazed at the history that was documented in the collection. (Sam didn't even bring all of it home. The woman kept about two thirds of it!) There is still a great deal more to go through, but there is so much information and inspiration stacked in the office downstairs. It's simply amazing.
At the time, I thought that fate must have pushed me to request the records so that Sam could find this treasure trove of books. Tonight, however, I know differently.
I am just now starting to go through these records. As I write this, I have looked at only 9 of the more than 300 titles waiting for me. I feel like a piece of me has been suddenly returned!
It would appear the the collection is alphabetized and I happened to pick a "C" stack. I am looking at a wonderful collection of works by Chopin and as I read each title I can hear the music in my mind and feel the magic of it working on me. Tomorrow I am picking up a record player from another kind woman who has additional records for me.
I'm reminded of all that I love about music. The passion and soul shaking emotion that fills me up and pours from my fingers. The window to another human soul that the master composers were able to force open, just a crack, to allow the eager listener a precious glimpse.
If only the babies weren't sleeping right now. I need to play!
4 comments:
What a lovely post, Sandie!
Your children are truly blessed to have such inspiration to fill their lives. Music of any kind awakens something inside of us. They have the added advantage of being exposed to beautiful music from a young age. Fill their souls with beautiful sounds!
just anquick question...does your record player have a stack of pennies on the arm to preventit from skipping?-dave
Dave,
I haven't had a problem, but I'll keep that tip in mind! lol
Post a Comment