They whispered as they came in, Katie directing Josie to my side of the bed and explaining that she would take the Daddy side. They had been up for about 20 minutes playing in their room and were now wide awake and ready for Mommy & Daddy to play with them.
Josie crept along my side until she reached my head. She stood on tip-toes and leaned in as far as she could, careful to stifle the giggles growing in her throat, and kissed me awake. I sleepily scooped her up into bed with me for a morning snuggle, much to her delight.
Seconds later (it could have been minutes, or hours. I don't know. I was still sleepy) I felt something soft hit my nose. Then I felt it again. And again. I waved my hand over my face, finding nothing there but the cobwebs of sleep, and decided I must have been dreaming.
Josie re-adjusted herself and then I felt that same soft thing on my nose. Again and again, like a felt mallet beating softly on a drum, over and over. Steady. Ceaseless. I finally roused myself enough to open my eyes more than a hairs width to see something pink and kind of fluffy come at me. I grabbed it instinctively, not really knowing what it was. I looked in my hand to find a little pink glove . . . with a rhythm stick in it. Josie likes to put these two items together to make a puppet.
It took me a while in my sleepy state to realize that Josie had been slowly and methodically beating me in the nose with her little mitten puppet. I looked over to see her grinning impishly. I grinned back, giving her a kiss and her puppet back.
No comments:
Post a Comment