I've always asked the kids to help me with things around the house. They help me fold clothes, put toys away, clean the table, etc, but the help they've given in the past was far more troubling than successful.
Since returning from our trip, I've had the children doing 'chores', though we don't call them that. They have jobs to do and they do them everyday. Their biggest job is setting the table for every meal. I put all the items they need in a pile on the table and they scurry about setting everything as it should be. Sarah mostly grabs plates and, in something that resembles musical chairs, she runs around the table a few times and puts the plate down wherever her belly giggles stop her. Katie and Josie are happy to follow her about and set things right when she's done. All of the children beam proudly when the family is seated at the table they set.
I also have them using the cake plates from our dish set rather than the plastic plates they've always used. They are more careful and respectful through dinner than they've ever been and more helpful through the whole rest of the day.
Why did this all start when we arrived home from our trip? Because our van took us to my sister Jennie's house. She has often given me advice via phone conversations and e-mail, but there is nothing like seeing her and those wonderful children in action. Truly inspiring.
There are several other changes I will be making here over the next few weeks inspired by my visit with my sister and I can't wait to see the results.
1 comment:
Aw, thanks. And to think, your visit came during one of the very low points in my life, and I wasn't anywhere near on top of things. Just goes to show you how far I've come in twelve years. :-)
Post a Comment