I used to hate the stuff. Always loved the smell, but I just couldn't stand to drink it. And I never understood why it was such a common thing for people to drink, especially first thing in the morning. Yuck!
Then I met my husband. He got me to try all kinds of things while we were dating. And I actually liked most of them! Though he tried and tried, asking me to sip his coffee every chance he got, I just couldn't like it.
He stopped trying.
A few weeks later I found that I actually wanted that flavor.
I am now completely hooked on the stuff and I drink it every morning. He does not. In fact, he only has a cup on the weekends!
After a few years of experimenting, I've fallen in love with having a strong coffee with cream and sugar. I'm not fond of it with milk and, sadly, that was all I had this morning. So I skipped my morning cup for the first time in . . . hmm. . . I don't know how long. I've suffered none of the ill effects I've heard tell of. No real withdrawal symptoms of any kind. Except I miss the ritual of it. Carefully measuring each scoop of ground coffee, pouring just the right amount of cold water, the deep, rich aromas that fill the kitchen, even watching my cream swirl and lighten that deep, dark goodness!
The kids and I did our shopping today. I purchased my cream and I'm now going to go enjoy a cup. Though I don't think I'm chemically addicted, I won't be skipping my morning coffee again any time soon!
1 comment:
I still can't bring myself to like coffee, although I love a good cup of tea. But I see too many dependent teenagers walking to school with a Dunkin Donuts cup in their hand, and I think how sad it is that they need the caffeine to get them going.
Post a Comment