Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Smelly Laundry Tip

If you've ever done laundry, you know that if you forget a load in your washer for too long it will turn dreadfully smelly. I think it depends on your particular atmosphere where you live as to how long this takes. I used to be able to forget for about 24 hours and still be able to dry the load without any negative side effects. Lately, though, it's been a matter of hours.

I have found that simply re-washing the load is not enough to overcome the odor that takes up residence in my clothing. I must first dry it, then re-wash it and finally dry it again.

I discovered, however, that baking soda removes that extra step. It really does work! A cup of baking soda in with the wash removes the smell without having to dry everything first.

I highly recommend that, if you don't already, you keep a steady supply of baking soda in your laundry area.

2 comments:

Jennie C. said...

Try washing soda, too. You won't need as much I think. Or vinegar. Vinegar is what got very strong body odor out of some washing I used to do for someone else. Add it to the rinse cycle. Or, to make things really easy, put your clothes in the drier when they are done in the washer. :-)

Sandie said...

Well, okay: Yes. Avoiding the problem all together would be far easier than trying to fix it. But, you know. It happens. Maybe a bit too often, but it happens and one must deal with it when it does. I haven't tried the vinegar yet. But it's next on my list!