Thursday, June 21, 2007

Doing Something Right

I love plants. I love having flowers blooming on my kitchen counter and herbs growing by the window. But somehow I always manage to kill them.

I buy pretty plants, full of blossoms. I read the directions and try to water them just the right amount. Somehow, though, I never keep them for more than a few months. I have never had an indoor plant flower for me after it was done with the flowers I purchased it with.

Look:







Do you see what this is? It's a house plant: a little cyclamen. After looking sickly for a few weeks, convincing me it was going to die, it started to come back, growing new, green leaves and now:




NEW FLOWERS!

I don't know what I did, but I must finally be doing something right!

2 comments:

Beckie Russell said...

I don't have houseplants. I can't keep them alive and don't really want to. But I love my outdoor plants!

Jennie C. said...

Oh, I love cyclamens! They are lovely little plants, and prolific bloomers. Give them lots of sunshine! I also love African violets, but I have seldom gotten them to bloom at home in the recommended "indirect light". By accident, I found that they like bright, direct and will happily bloom if allowed to get some, even if you move them off the window sill when the flowers arrive. Just be careful that the leaves don't burn from touching the hot glass!