Saturday, June 23, 2007

Daughters

John Mayer has a song out called Daughters. I've heard it before, catching only the chorus and thinking "what a sweet sentiment." Today I finally took a moment to find the lyrics and all I can say is WOW!

I think this song should be required listening for every parent on the planet, present and future.

(Click title to hear the song)


Daughters
John Mayer

I know a girl
She puts the color inside of my world
but she's just like a maze
Where all of the walls all continually change

And I've done all I can
To stand on her steps with my heart in my hand
Now I'm starting to see
Maybe it’s got nothing to do with me

Fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Ooh, you see that skin?
It's the same she's been standing in
Since the day she saw him walking away
Now she's left
cleaning up the mess he made

So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers, be good to your daughters too

Boys, you can break
You find out how much they can take
Boys will be strong
And boys soldier on
But boys would be gone without warmth from
A woman's good, good heart

On behalf of every man
looking out for every girl
You are the god and the weight of her world

So fathers, be good to your daughters
Daughters will love like you do
Girls become lovers who turn into mothers
So mothers be good to your daughters, too
So mothers be good to your daughters, too
So mothers be good to your daughters, too.

5 comments:

Beckie Russell said...

I too, loved this song the first several times I heard it. The only part I disagreed with was the part about "Boys you can break..." etc. I tend to believe that boys can be emotionally damaged just as easily as girls...but our definition of what a man is sort of expects a certain emotional detachment...overall a great song, though.

Sandie said...

I've seen this criticism before. I don't think he's saying you can do whatever you want with a boy and he'll be fine. He's just trying to point out that there is a difference between girls and boys. I know this is taboo to say, but it's true and he's saying it.

Jennie C. said...

I listened yesterday, but I don't really like the song.

Beckie Russell said...

It's not taboo to say that boys and girls are different. Though I am something of a feminist, I am also practical and realize that men are just created differently from women, physiologically speaking. And likely, there are some hard-wired emotional and intellectual differences as well (like the well documented spatial-relations differences). But, there are also a great number of socially implanted differneces that might not need to exist.

Jennie C. said...

Spoken like a woman who doesn't have a son! Trust me: they're made that way.