Monday, August 14, 2006

We're Still Here . . .

*****I wrote this post a while ago and it wouldn't load!*****
*****Sorry for being gone for so long!!*****

. . . It's just that we're out of sight . . .

Sorry I've been gone so long. It's been crazy here with the twins so sick and needy. They had an infection called Roseola. Amazingly, it spreads before symptoms are exhibited, but not once they begin! I have no idea where they got this from, but it appears fairly unavoidable if you take your children into the world or if anyone visits your house.

They weren't drinking very much when their fevers got high and they became dehydrated. After a little vomiting and waking at 5:00 a.m. to fevers over 104 we called the clinic. They sent us to the ER where they were poked and prodded for a few hours. Then they were admitted and given IV fluids until that evening.

(Sorry I'm kind of giving the abreviated version here. I'm exhausted.)

The twins didn't want to be put down the entire 15 hours we were in the hospital, and I really can't blame them. We went through three different doctors and all of them insisted on re-examining the babies when they came in. By the third doctor I was more than a little annoyed and defensive. This doctor said she wanted an IV, so a nurse came in with a helper and they, with my help, held down Josie and tried to stick a needle in her arm. The nurse hadn't done this on a baby, she mentioned, in a long time. After about 2 minutes of her fishing for a tiny little vein I stopped her.

Was this really nessessary? We hadn't even gotten lab results back yet. If she wasn't dehydrated too badly, maybe we could try to get her to drink.

So we tried that for a while with limited success. Results came back that Josie was much more dehydrated than Katie, but they were both in need of some help. So we waited to be admitted. Once we were upstairs, a pediatrician, not an out of practice ER nurse, slipped the IV's into my babies little hands and wrapped them up so they couldn't pull the needles out.

There were many interesting and scary stories I could tell about our visit, but I think I'll save those for another post. My only advise is that if you have to go to the hospital with your babies, make sure you ask a lot of questions and don't assume that everything they do is in the best interest of your child. Be on top of everything!

2 comments:

Jennie C. said...

That's true about any healthcare. You have to be REALLY proactive, because they don't know you and (quite honestly) they don't really care. Glad the babes are better. What about Sarah?

Sandie said...

Amazingly, Sarah didn't get anything! Thanks for asking. She was great while we were at the hospital, romping around in one of their giant cribs, and she never got even a hint of fever. I'm so thankful for that.