The moment she's dressed and sees I have socks in my hand, Sarah's face lights up and she says "We goin' to lie-berry?" Admittedly, we are there at least once a week, sometimes more often if books I've ordered have come in early, but we certainly don't go every time I put socks and shoes on her little pudgy feet. She is just ever hopeful that the van will ignore that Mommy thinks we are traveling to the grocery store and, instead, stop right at the end of our street so she can touch the books and help the ladies behind the counter and ask every last library patron she can reach "Whatcha doin'?"
She truly loves that place. And she loves the things we bring home from it. I can put some music on (which I have lately also been getting from the library) and all three of my babies will go choose a book from our 'library shelf' where we almost always have a dozen or more books, and they will find a cozy spot to love their book for a while before trading it for a different one. Sometimes they read to each other, making up simple stories from the pictures in the book. Other times they work very hard to remember the written story, even going so far as to use the first letter on the page to remind themselves how it starts.
I didn't like our library at first, because it is so very tiny and difficult to visit. The use of their online catalog, however, and the ability to summon volumes from libraries all over the county and even the state, if need be, has opened up our little world in ways I had never imagined. We would be lost without our library and I'm so grateful that my children have so easily attached themselves to the wonders that even our tiny library can hold.
No comments:
Post a Comment