We didn't call ahead and Sam arrived about 20 minutes before the farm was to close for the day. The apologized, saying that all the milk they had was spoken for.
"We can sell you one gallon," they said, taking pity on my poor, disappointed husband, "But you need to always call ahead!"
So, Sam brought home one gallon (Sorry Beckie and Mommy. But I have a solution. Keep reading) and we had thick, delicious real milk for dessert. Yes. Dessert. No one wanted cookies or chocolate or anything else. A mug of rich milk was enough.
This morning, I opened my refrigerator to find that the remainder of the milk had seperated nicely, leaving about a half an inch or more layer of cream floating on a slightly pailer liquid. It's comforting, knowing what I do now about store milk, to see this natural separation happen.
Last night, having had my first taste and needing more, I found a dairy farm that is only one hour away from me! Their milk is cheaper (by $2.50!) and they always have plenty. I was told that I can just e-mail the night before I want to pick it up and they will see that around 4 am. I need to bring my own jugs (reusable kinds - not the single use jugs that store milk comes in. Glass is best) and they will happily fill as many as I like.
So I've got the word out on my local FreeCycle networks for wine jugs. As soon as I can get a few together I'll be taking a ride to a lovely dairy farm in New York.
I can't wait!
No comments:
Post a Comment