Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Music At Home: An Unplanned Tip

Jennie's comment on my last Music At Home post reminded me of this one.

We have days here, and I'm sure you do too, where none of the children are really listening to my requests. I can ask them to pick up the same toy 7, 8, 9 times in a row with little to no response on those days.

But . . . If I sing my request . . . they jump right into it, nearly always returning my song with a melodious "Oooohh-kaaaaaaaeeeeee Mommmmmmmeeeeeeee"

This does several things.

First, it improves their focus and ability to follow directions.

Second, and more musically relevant, it give them the opportunity to make up their own, short song. Many young children (mine are all under three, for at least a few more weeks), can make up new words to songs they already know. But they rarely understand that they have power over the notes they sing, too. It's a great and musically freeing lesson to learn, especially at a young age.

Enjoy!

No comments: