Sunday, December 02, 2007

Pretty Little Treasures

Among the many books we were recently given, there were a number of music related titles, which I have been devouring. It is so very interesting to see how things were taught a hundred years ago.

Among these books was a little folder, not much larger than your average snap-shot. It contained 4 even smaller works of art.




Each of these is a "paper cut." The paper used is extremely delicate. It reminds me of a very fine, soft tissue.




They are about 3" X 4" each and they are all hand colored.




The theme of this packet is "Opera Facial Make-Ups" so you are looking at the traditional make up that goes along with chinese operas.




Am I the only one who finds these fascinating? I've tried to learn more about these from the internet, but I only succeeded in finding some dragon paper cuts for sale. Does anyone know anything more about these?

(I scanned these on a blue sheet of paper so you could see the white details better.)

3 comments:

Jennie C. said...

I don't know, but I'd get them framed and hung lickety splickety!

Beckie Russell said...

I agree! They're great and they'd go well with that Red wall in your dining room!

Beckie Russell said...

I looked up "Opera Facial Makeups" and mostly found stuff from the Beijing opera. It ssems to be a popular theme in chinese art.