Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Spelling CAT

We're in full swing learning about the hard sound of the letter C this week and all of my plans were very successful yesterday. Even Sarah, who normally just scribbles on paper and babbles to herself, was very engaged in our C discussions and happily repeated every word I said. Every. Word.

And they all know how to spell 'cat', and they've learned what the words 'color' and 'cow' look like. Their C artwork is proudly displayed on our wall and they keep tracing over all the C's with their fingers. I couldn't be happier.

Josie draws them backwards, but I figure we can fix that later. She's got the shape down and the coordination to draw it, so I'm happy!

Today we will be baking cookies and we'll review our words from yesterday. We will practice our counting as we place cookies on the pan and then again as we eat them!

I'm so amazed at how quickly and readily they learn things. And at their attention spans. We spent a full hour and a half at the table yesterday, just playing around with the letter C. No one got bored or distracted. Amazing.

No comments: