Friday, August 10, 2007

FreeCycle

Freecycle is a great network. If you have one in your local area (go to their site and check) you really should try them out. I have gotten and given so many things through this group of people that I can not imagine how I ever got along without it!

I've gotten beautiful wooden toddler beds that I think are probably the nicest furniture I own. I have bread baking upstairs in a bread machine for the first time ever thanks to a local freecycler. The computer desk I'm sitting at, probably worth a few hundred new, was gently used by it's original owner and then passed on to us.

I've also been able to give away a lot of stuff that I otherwise would have thrown in the trash. Kitchen items, like that extra hand mixer that was stuffed in the back of my cabinet along with an extra set of knives, are well received. Clothing, appliances (even broken ones: There's always someone who wants to fix it!), old office supplies, tools, kids stuff, nearly anything that I clean out of my house that isn't actually trash, I look twice at. Should it really be put at the curb on garbage day? With just a small amount of effort I can let that item help someone else. I was able to give away a bunch of extra formula after the twins started drinking milk. It would have otherwise expired and been useless. All kinds of things, big and small, are loved on freecycle!

Another great group is CheapCycle. I don't know if they are everywhere, but a quick look at your YAHOO directory will tell you. It's just like freecycle, except you are allowed to sell things. Some people ask for a lot of money for things, completely against the name of the group, but many times members look at it like a huge garage sale. Today, in fact, I'm picking up a bike trailer. It sells new for about $140. The family used it once, their kids didn't like riding in it and they've had it sitting ever since. For $30 I'll get to use it with my family! Really great stuff!!!

Try it out, folks, if you haven't already. But I warn you, you may become addicted!

1 comment:

Jennie C. said...

Ours isn't nearly as big as yours, but if you ask for something, somebody usually has at least information on where to find one.