Thursday, June 29, 2006

Unpredictable Fruit

I like fruit. So do the kids. Bananas, apples, pears, peaches, and berries, of course. Last week, I bought two 3 lob bunches of bananas and a big bag of pears. Usually, by the time we've finished the first bunch of bananas, the second one is very ripe, but we are able to eat it before it goes too mushy (and must be made into bread!). And the pears usually last a long while too! Plenty of time for us to eat them.

However, the fruit I bought last week not only ripened super fast, the bananas actually started to rot! I've never had a banana rot on me. They usually get mushy and then I bake bread.

Last night, I used all the pears to make pear sauce, which came out really good. So I guess I can't complain.

Pear Sauce:

Take a bunch of pears (I had about a dozen), peal and core them. Chop them up in about 1" peices.

Put them in a big 'ol pot and add a little water (not too much! about 1/4 to 1/2 cup)

Boil the heck out of 'em!

If you like it smooth rather than a little chunky, toss them in your blender for a minute.

1 comment:

Beckie Russell said...

I like the third instruction; it's full of technical jargon and really shows off your culinary expertise!