Monday, June 16, 2008

Music At Home: Music Hunt Week

Guess what? In case you hadn't noticed already, and I suppose anyone who doesn't have music on their brain all the time might have missed it, music is everywhere. Really. Even if you put yourself in a quiet room, there is a kind of music present in your breathing, your heartbeat, your foot steps.

This week, we will be exploring many 'alternative' forms of music. Each day, look here for a new project or activity to do with your family. The only materials you will require this week are access to the outside world and the ability to allow your children to rifle through your closets and kitchen cupboards! Be prepared. This is going to be a noisy week. It's also going to be quite a lot of fun!

If you can manage it, I highly recommend you get your hands on some music by Philip Glass. It can be hard to listen to, but if ever there was a man who embraces alternative instruments, he's it! He has written a great deal of music for movies, television and stage plays. If you are in the mood to discuss a composer, he's the one to pick this week.

I hope you enjoy these lessons. Please come back and let me know how it went.

1 comment:

Beckie Russell said...

After this hectic week ( I have only a few more tutoring sessions) I'm planning on starting our home schooling in earnest. This will help out a great deal in the music lesson department.