Thursday, May 08, 2008

Discovery

My babies have discovered worms.

They are equally fascinated and grossed out by these little creatures, which makes for an interesting time outside. And since we spend about 80% of our day exploring outside, they have become near experts on the kinds of worms one can find in a north Jersey backyard.

I'm not a real big fan of bugs, myself. But I'm pretty sure my kiddo's haven't guessed that yet. I do my best to exclaim over the hairiness of that worm, or the wet sliminess of this one, all without ever running away, screaming! Okay, I'm not that bad. But still. I don't like them. Worms I mean. Not kids.

They haven't embraced flying bugs yet, thank goodness. Or ants. Just worms. I wonder what is next?

2 comments:

Jennie C. said...

I think you are talking about caterpillars, which are different from worms in that caterpillars turn into butterflies, whereas worms are just...worms. :-) If you can get your hands on some Golden nature guides (very kid friendly), you can look for your caterpillars and find out what they turn into, and then, when you see the butterfly (or moth) later, you can remember when it was a baby. :-) Even better, take digital before and after photos. Or build a little caterpillar habitat out of a spare, see-through container and some bug-proof, breathable fabric or broken screening and feed it till it turns into a butterfly, then let it go. Can you tell that we are not repulsed by "worms" here?

Sandie said...

Some of them are caterpillars and some are worms. I like your ideas for the caterpillars, though. And I'm learning to like bugs. After a day of watching worms, though, I get creepy crawly skin and I have to go scrub myself clean, even though there is nothing actually on my skin . . . I know it's silly . . .