Dinner time has become a challenge. Cooking goes well, setting the table is the job of the children and getting everyone to the table is easy. Once we are sitting down, however, is when the fun begins.
Two little three year olds who have discovered that they can have a good conversation if they ask questions or tell us about their day and a two year old who likes to talk to her peas makes for a very loud dinner. All three of them spend the first two minutes eating and then they are all speaking at once and there is no way to stop them! lol
We are trying to teach them to wait their turn and say "excuse me" when they have something to say, but instead of helping things it has compounded the problem. Now, while two of them are talking, one of them is just saying "excuse me . . ." over and over and over!
And, it's nearly impossible for Sam or I to get a word in edge wise.
I remember when we visited Jennie's house while I was pregnant with the twins. We had dinner at her house and her children were also little chatter boxes, though they did take turns. At the end of the meal, Dave looked at my belly and then looked at Sam and said "Are you ready for this?" We laughed at the time. If only we had realized! lol
3 comments:
Penelope took a late nap yesterday and so wasn't cranky at dinner. 'Twas the nicest meal we've had in weeks! And it's funny to participate in their conversations, too. :-)
That repeated "excuse me", usually increasing in volume as it goes, is annoying, isn't it?
Enjoy it. It is a beautiful sound and also a source of great happiness.
I love listening to Jennie's kids talking and we have had many happy moments at that table.
PS I HATE those silly word verifications. If they would use a type style you could recognize I would be easier.
Sounds cute! :-) At least you are all at the table together - seems like a rarity in families these days unfortunately...
Amber
Post a Comment