It was only a matter of time, I suppose, before my twins discovered their new power. Nights in a toddler bed means there is a great deal more freedom than crib life offers. It has taken them weeks, maybe months even, to discover that it was possible to get out of bed in the middle of the night. So far, they have only used their powers for good!
The first time they ever got out of bed at night, they were having trouble falling asleep. They both came out at the same time about an hour after we had put them to bed, with big smiles on their faces. "We can't sleep, Mommy." Josie said. "And we didn't want to cry." Very kind of them to spare their already sleeping baby sister.
Last night, or should I say early this morning, I heard little feet enter my bedroom. I turned on my bedside lamp and saw Josie standing there staring at me. (This is a little disconcerting at 4:17 in the morning, especially when it doesn't happen often!) "What's the matter baby?" I asked, while pulling her a little closer. "I just needed some huggin'," she replied in her simple, sweet way, her little baby hand out to the side, emphasizing this fact. So I scooped her up into bed with me for a few minutes. Moments later, Katie was standing in the doorway. "I need huggins too, Mommy," she whispered loud enough for the neighbors to hear. So I scooped her up too. We snuggled in bed for a while, careful not to disturb Daddy, and finally, Josie said she was ready to go back to her own bigirl bed. I carefully and reluctantly brought them back to bed and tucked them in with extra kisses. They were both asleep again before I closed their door.
Life really is good!
No comments:
Post a Comment